Licensed Hair Stylist
Certified Hair Extension Artist
Choosing the right hair color is something that most everyone stresses over. Many women select a hair color from a photograph they see in a magazine, even though this is probably the worst way of picking the right hair color. Most experts will agree that selecting hair color from a photograph of a famous celebrity is a recipe for disaster unless you match skin tone and facial features exactly.
So what can you do to ensure a great color for your complexion, style and personality? Let's look at what goes into color selection by the expert colorists.
- How do you usually color your hair (home or salon)
Color Level, Shade and Tone
Complexion, Skin Undertones and Makeup
Avoid lightening and highlights or you'll look brassy
Age and Selecting Hair Color
Most experts follow these general rules of thumb:
- The key to great color is keeping your color changes within the correct warm or cool tones and staying within two color levels of your own color, if you want a natural look.
- Professionally applied permanent colors provide the best coverage and last the longest. Semi-permanent colors are good for trying out a darker color before committing, but you can only go darker or hide grays. Semi-permanent colors won't lighten your hair.
- Keep your hair healthy by always applying color to unwashed hair. Your hair's natural oils protect your hair.
- If you make a color mistake with a home box product, don't try to fix it with another box! A minor mistake might be corrected by immediately washing your hair 2-3 times with a good clarifying shampoo. If you're afraid you've made a bigger mistake, or if the washes don't do the trick, do yourself a favor and see a hair professional.
Hair Color and Hair Extensions
Have a specific color in mind, but don't know how to explain it to your stylist? A method I like to recommend to my clients is to go onto Pinterest to find photos of hair that you particularly like. Many of my hair extension clients who also use color visit my board, "Hair Inspiration" on Pinterest.
REFERENCES/RESOURCES FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Color Me Beautiful - Reinvent Yourself with Color Me Beautiful: 4 Seasons of Color, Makeup, and Style
Extensions of Yourself - The Hair
Extensions of Yourself blog - Is Red the New HOT Color?
Extensions of Yourself on Pinterest
Melissa White is an experienced, licensed hair extension artist and stylist whose passion is to bring out the natural beauty in everyone by enhancing their own individual features with the use of exquisite hair extensions. Melissa has over 10 years of extensive training with the industries top hair extension companies in the newest techniques. Originally from Boston, Melissa has been in San Antonio for the past 10 years. She believes that everyone should be able to access and afford the hair of their dreams . . . thus the creation of Extensions of Yourself, San Antonio's first salon which specializes exclusively in quality hair extensions.